Apps for kids on the spectrum.

We continue to live in our new normal. It is a well-known fact that kids won't be going back to school for the rest of this school year. It is a vital role we as parents are playing currently in helping our children learn through distance learning which is a new norm for all of us. Some kids lately are resisting learning this way and many parents are faced with an important question on how they can help their kids learn by avoiding power struggles which are not fun for anybody.

I am going to tell you a little secret today which will alleviate this problem to some extent. We all know kids on the spectrum are obsessed with technology and different gadgets like smartphones, chrome books, tablets, and many more devices. I would love to make a confession here I am obsessed with iPad apps and own countless apps some of which are free and some which I have purchased over the years and use it with my son today. I do limit his screen time as I know that is a big concern for all of us but when he does get the iPad I rather have him play with those apps than mindlessly scrolling through the iPad. This way the children are still learning in a sneaky way wherein they are having fun as well which reduces the chance of having a power struggle with parents.

I am going to share some of the apps I use with my son over the years not all of them are free. They cost not more than a cup of Starbucks coffee and in turn provides endless learning opportunities for them over the years, I  must admit a couple of apps I have paid a lot of money but when I compare it with the cost of printing, laminating and storage I think I got a good deal.







.

I am going to share some apps I use with my son from each category. I am going to start with the See Touch Learn pro. This is the most expensive app I purchased it was about 40 Canadian dollars way back in 2011. This app is by Brain parade, There is a free version available as well but the pro version is worth every penny. It is an ABA-based app that includes 4400 pictures,2200 exercises with access to the Brain parade community. It is visual-based instruction for kids on the spectrum which replaces all of the flashcards. I think it is a good deal right there.











The next app is called Monkey Preschool Lunchbox which costs $ 2.79.It is a collection of exciting educational games for the preschooler. It includes different games that teach kids about colors, letters, counting, shapes, sizes, and matching and differences. It is a great app for kids on the spectrum to work on basic skills as well.









The next app is called Injini lite which is free. It is developed by experts and endorsed by parents and teachers. It offers a collection of learning games that offer meaningful play to young children especially toddlers and preschoolers with cognitive, language, and fine motor delays. This app is best for early intervention.










The next app is called Candy count which also costs less than 3 $ for the full version. It is a great app to teach colors and numbers, It is an interactive app that teaches children to count and sort candy without any toothache.







The next app is Montessori Numbers for kids app. This costs less than 6 $. It is a fantastic app for helping young students understand the relationship between numbers and the quantity they stand for. It teaches them the concept of one to one correspondence which many kids on the spectrum struggle with including my own son.




T



The next app is by Hamaguchi apps which are called Fun with Directions HD lite. It costs only $ 1.39. It is a great speech therapy app that helps children listen and follow directions and develop auditory and processing skills. It is a great deal for that price. They do have pro versions that I own but this app is great if you are just starting out to buy quality, reasonably priced app for your child.



The next app is called Feed Maxi which has a free lite version. It is also a speech therapy app created by Speech-Language pathologists wherein children increase expressive, receptive, and functional language by feeding Maxi and adorable hungry monkey during a highly motivating and interactive game. Maxi requests, comments and uses simple sign language to enhance communication skills. It also works on following directions, problem-solving, cause/effect, fine motor, and visual tracking skills.







The next app is I can do apps that have apps that are great for working on language, vocabulary, and phonology awareness, categories, associations, and objects id. They are not free but worth every penny as it works on many skills, My son works on these apps every day.

I have tons of more apps which I will share in a future blog post. I hope you find this blog post helpful. Hopefully, it will take some pressure off you and help your kids learn minus the stress and power struggle.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picky Eating in children with Autism.

How we started our journey on the spectrum.

Why i decided to start a blog

How to help kids with autism to work independently.