Resources for special needs kids.

We all know kids with autism need specialized individualized programs put in place for them to make progress in their learning goals in terms of their academic, behavior, social skills and self-help skills.
This is the reason why an IEP (individualized learning plan) is put in place for every child.

I struggled to find appropriate resources for my son right from the early days. The community classrooms did have resources for kids to work in the school but they did not have enough to send the resources home for me to practice with my son. Also the commercially available resources available in specialty stores were too expensive to buy.

I started doing some research in this area to see what kind of resources were available online at a fraction of a cost. I came across a site Teachers pay Teachers accidently five years ago. Thus started my journey of making resources for my son. This is the world's first and largest marketplace with millions of resources. The greatest benefit of this is you need not be a teacher to sign up for this. it is totally free.It is required you create a free account, to begin with. It is a digital platform where resources are sold digitally and you have to prepare it for your home or classroom.

They sell resources not only for special needs but also for typical kids ranging from kindergarten to grade 12. The biggest advantage here is you do not need to spend any money if you don't want to or cannot afford it. There are tons of free resources you can download and start prepping resources.

I have been buying resources which are in US dollars for many years. I have bought all kinds of resources for my son and he has benefitted tremendously using them. That way I always had resources at my fingertips and did not have to depend on the teachers for me to get them.

There is a little amount of money you need to spend upfront which in the long run is not much when compared to the use you get out of it. I will de discussing this in the next blog post showing you all kinds of things you need to invest in before you start on this journey.

There are a number of special education teachers who have great resources on TPT which are truly amazing to help a wide variety of our diverse learners. There are a few of them I would like to mention in my post as these are the teachers I have bought a lot of stuff which has helped Aarian come a long way.

Some of the sellers I follow and buy from are Sasha from The Autism Helper,
Alyssa from Simply special ed
Adulting made easy which is for older kids.
Live Love speech by Kristine Lamb.
Brie from Breezy special ed
Especially Education by Michaela
Adaptation station by Nicole.

These are just a few of my favorite sellers but there are hundreds more available as well. I am sure you will find something useful for your child which you can print and use right away with them. It is so rewarding to see the children progress over the years when you provide them with the right resources. I will discuss all the materials needed to make the resources in the next blog post make sure you follow me so you don't miss out on that. I am sure it will surely help you.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picky Eating in children with Autism.

How we started our journey on the spectrum.

Why i decided to start a blog

How to help kids with autism to work independently.