The growth mindset.

 It is very common once our kids get an autism diagnosis we are always told about the limitations and the kinds of things our children will not be able to do. It is like the doctors already know what our child’s future will look like when an initial diagnosis is made.

We must always take this with a grain of salt. Our children are capable of making progress. There will always be limitations but still, progress can be made.

It is essential as parents we need to have a growth mindset as we need to believe despite the limitations progress can be made.

I have experienced this personally, as twelve years ago when my son was diagnosed with autism we were given a long list of things he won't be able to do. It was very devastating for us as parents to hear this. At the same time, I decided as a mother I was going to do everything possible to help our son.

The kids do make progress, our son did too but on their own timeline. For this to happen as parents we need to be positive and believe our child is capable of making progress. We are our children/s.best advocates as we know them the best. We need to take steps to do so. I personally went back to school to do my Autism Graduation Certificate and never looked back after that. I know every parent can't do that. To attend parent training or conferences to help your child.

I am a big fan of Sasha Long who is a BCBA and the president of The Autism Helper. I always like a quote from Sasha where she emphasizes the power of yet, this has helped me personally a lot. Whenever things get a bit harder for my son I always say to myself he can't do it yet but that doesn't mean he will never be able to do something forever. 

Today my son is a teenager. He is still non-verbal and communicates with an AAC device. He has come a long way despite numerous challenges. He can read and do so many things we were told at age 3 he will never do. we are so proud of him.

I had to do a lot of advocating for him since he did not speak people assumed he was not capable of learning. As a parent and a mother, it was very hurtful for me. So the onus is on us as parents to help our kids by first of all believing in them. The other thing is we need to be realistic there are certain things our kids won't be able to do and that's okay. 

Always try to look back and see how far you have come in this journey. My son has taught me a lot. Our kids work hard for things that come so easy for typical kids. we must celebrate every milestone no matter how small it is.

I hope I have helped you in a small way by sharing my personal story of the growth mindset. if you have any other suggestions do comment and let me know.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picky Eating in children with Autism.

How we started our journey on the spectrum.

Why i decided to start a blog

How to help kids with autism to work independently.