Resources i use with my son during the crisis.

There seems to be no end in sight at this time because of Covid-19 and reality is soon set in that our kids might not go back to school for this school year and the responsibility of educating them is on our shoulders.

Today I am continuing on part two of my blog series. In the last blog post, I shared some tips for parents on how we can take care of ourselves and help our kids during this crisis. I highly recommend please go back and read that post before you read this as it is very important for us as parents to be strong and healthy both mentally and physically to care for our kids. It works on the same principle wherein if you are traveling on a plane and there is sudden decompression and oxygen masks drop we need to put our own mask first before we can help anyone else.

Today I am going to share some images and resources I am using with my son to give his day some kind of structure and normalcy. like all kids with autism he needs a schedule and a routine which helps him to feel less anxious.

To begin with, I have a free account with Teachers pay Teachers wherein there are tons of free resources you can download at this time without spending any money. There are social stories, visual schedules .lots of digital activities which are free which you can use with your kids. My son has lots of fine motor issues and he can't write so I am using a combination of digital and hands-on activities at this time to help him because like all kids he is motivated by Technology. Lots of kids with autism love it and we can use it at this time to help them learn.

My son is non-verbal but he can read. I have purchased lots of activities from Teachers pay Teachers which I am using at this time to help him work on his reading and comprehension skills.




The other resource I am using at this time is Clicker 6.It is a popular literacy support software that helps kids of all ages and abilities to develop their reading and writing skills. .Aarian has been provided with a laptop from his school with clicker 6 software wherein we work on his reading and math activities and also many more. He cannot manipulate the mouse so we had to buy a separate touch screen monitor which we attach to his laptop and he works on those skills.







There is a new resource which everybody is raving about I called Boom cards. They are basically digital task cards that can be operated on any phone, tablet, or computer. There is no printing and laminating involved. There is a website called Boom learning wherein you can create a free account as a parent and access these cards. There are lots of sellers on Teachers pay Teachers who have created boom cards in their store some of them are free. They can also be purchased directly from the website. Kids love working on them.






There are lots of teachers who have created resources online by way of google classrooms wherein they share lots of activities and worksheets to do with our kids. We also work on those activities during the day.

I don't know if you have heard about Sasha from The Autism Helper. She is very passionate about helping our kids with autism. She has a website, podcasts, and is on all social media platforms. She has come out with a Home School Emergency kit which she has made available to parents at pay what you can. The maximum you can pay is 20 $. If finances are tight you are also able to download it for free. It includes schedules,  calendars,8 weeks of print and goes curriculum, and lots more. There are some videos also available for parents to benefit from this. She has a store on TpT. I have purchased lots of resources from her over the years and my son has immensely benefitted  from it 


In addition, we try to play some games to work on turn-taking and social skills. I wanted to share videos of Aarian doing some activities but they would not play on the blogger.



I hope you can find all the resources helpful. I hope it can benefit your kids as well. Stay safe everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picky Eating in children with Autism.

How we started our journey on the spectrum.

Why i decided to start a blog

How to help kids with autism to work independently.